Last July we did a blog post about protecting your skin in the summer time. This year we wanted to share it again because we believe that the information is worth repeating! We also wanted to add a little bit to it. We only get one skin and it is so important to protect it from the harsh sun and elements! So please read on to learn how you can protect your skin this summer with True North Beauty!
Ah, summer. There are so many amazing things about this time of year! BBQ’s and beaches. Pools and boating. Vacations and playing outside. But along with the sun, surf, and sand we do need to be mindful about taking care of our skin. The summer weather, while great for the soul, can wreak havoc on your skin if you aren’t careful about protecting it!
Here are a few steps to follow this summer to make sure you are doing your best to protect your skin from the sun and maintain the healthy skin you deserve!
Exfoliate: During the summer you sweat more, spend more time outdoors in the elements, and probably will spend time in a lake, pool, or ocean. All of these things leave behind particles on your skin and it’s important to slough off the dry skin and impurities that builds up on your face over time. You will want to give your face a good, deep scrub to remove this buildup from your skin. We suggest using our Facial Polish either over your sink or in your shower at least once or twice a week to help keep your skin clean and soft feeling. The only time you will not want to exfoliate is if you recently burned your skin. You skin will need to rest and re-hydrate, which leads us to the next step…
Hydrate: Not only do you want to stay hydrated because of the summer heat, but also to keep your skin looking younger, fresh, and help maintain its elasticity. To stay hydrated you should give your body hydration from the inside and out! We recommend using the Hydration Cream and our Body Oil to give your thirsty summer skin the drink it needs! Also make sure you are drinking plenty of water each day! In the summer, you should add drinking a big glass of water to your morning routine when you start your day. This will kick start hydrating your skin, but make sure you are drinking water throughout the day and reapplying the Hydration Cream and Body Oil before bed!
Protect: This is probably the most important aspect about caring for summer skin. You want to protect it from the harsh UVA/UVB rays of the sun and treat your skin if you do get over exposed.
- Make sure you are using a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher and apply it to your skin during your morning routine. Don’t forget often missed spots, like your ears, lips, tops of your feet, and the part in your hair!
- Wear a hat or bring a light long sleeved shirt and pants with you if you are going to be out for long periods of time in the sun, like at the beach. A maxi dress is a perfect way to stay cool but still get coverage from the sun during the summer!
- Protect your eyes! Use sunglasses that block both UVA and UVB rays and as your mother used to say, never stare directly into the sun! Even with our eyes closed, when we tilt our face up to the sun we can still do damage to our eyes.
- Use antioxidant rich True North Beauty products to help protect your skin cells from sun damage and to help nourish your skin after being exposed to the sun all day. We recommend using our new Tinted Lip Serum (since most people forget that lips are skin too and they can burn) and the Facial Serum to help give your skin the nourishment it craves after a hot summer day.
- What if you did burn? Then you will want to add Aloe Vera to our Body Oil and apply that directly to the burned areas. Simply mix both in your hand to combine them and rub all over the affected skin. And again, drink a ton of water too!
These are just a few steps to help you keep your skin in tip top shape this summer!