“Scientists have estimated that your skin loses more than 25% of its ability to hold moisture in winter, making it feel drier and tighter.”
Phew. So it’s not just happening to me.
For years, battling itchy, dry skin that cracks in the cold outdoor air and tightens in the blasting indoor heat makes me think I should just mummify myself for the season and save everyone the agony of watching me scratch and complain. I tried every product on the market – really! – but nothing worked and nothing was close to the clean, natural ingredients I wanted to use on my skin.
This is all before I discovered Chaga.
Chaga, the hero ingredient in every one of our products, is packed with antioxidants and bursting with vitamins and nutrients. And its oils and properties naturally heal and soothe winter skin. Chaga excels in frigid winter weather, storing energy and thriving while the birch are dormant.
So recently I got to thinking: what other natural winter standouts can be used in skincare to combat dry, flakey skin and soothe and protect naturally?
Well, I can happily report I found a few that perfectly fit the bill.
First, it didn’t take long for me to land on everyone’s winter favorite – the star of every holiday meal and Christmas cocktail garnish – the cranberry.
- Cranberries are a superfood, rich in nutrients and antioxidants. Cranberry’s natural oils are the perfect blend of omega fatty acids, which allows its nutrients easily absorb into skin, bringing antioxidants and hydration deep below the skin’s surface and locking in moisture for plump, hydrated skin.
- Cranberries are also bursting with vitamins C and E, which block free radicals and protect skin from visible signs of aging like fine lines and wrinkles.
- Vitamin C is a key player in how our bodies produce collagen, which helps skin retain its elasticity and firmness. It’s also antibacterial, which helps cleanse pores and keep skin clear.
So, by now I was in love with the idea of using winter ingredients to save winter skin. But what else is out there this time of year that could protect, heal, and hydrate like Chaga and cranberry? And more importantly, was there anything that could really help my dry, chapped lips (the real bane of winter weather for me)?
And this is when things got interesting. I found lanolin. I’d heard of it and know it’s used frequently in baby products, but I’d never actually given it much thought. Is it one of our winter wonders that we could put to good use in our seasonal skincare box?
To my surprise: yes. Turns out, lanolin comes from sheep’s wool. Say what?!
- Lanolin is the wax produced by sheep to keep their skin and wool protected from harsh winter weather.
- Its natural properties are designed to do three things to save winter skin: soothe and moisturize, seal moisture in and protect hydration within the skin, and heal, all of which makes it the perfect addition to any lip care ritual, surprising as it may be.
- Paired with beeswax, our brand-new True North lip balm naturally soothes cracked lips, seals in hydration for long-term moisture, and protects lips from the winter winds. Perfect!
These new hearty winter ingredients pair perfectly with our signature oils, hyaluronic acid, and other True North Beauty favorites, making each product uniquely designed to naturally protect you from harsh winter weather.
Our Winter Seasonal Skincare Box is available for pre-order now. Boxes include:
- Creamy Cleanser
- Face Mask
- Natural Glow Body Oil
- Hand Cream
- Lip Balm
- Lip Polish